DENTON – In his first signing class as head coach, Rodney Delong and staff picked up six new signees who will join the Mean Green at Lovelace Stadium.
Five hail from the state of Texas with the lone out-of-state player coming from just north of the Red River out of Oklahoma. The class is highlighted by a handful of utility players, especially on the infield, who will offer the Mean Green plenty of versatility after they join.
"With this class we were able to add some athleticism and needed depth to the infield and the circle," Delong said. "We are excited about the future of our program, and these kids will make a good addition to what we have going."
Candain Callahan, INF - Canyon, TX, Canyon High School, Texas Glory
- 2018 District 3-5A Offensive Player of the Year
- 2017 District 3-5A First Team
- 2017 All-District 3-5A Infielder
- 2017 Offensive Infielder of the Year
- 2016 Newcomer of the Year
Callahan offers some of the infield prowess Delong was looking for. The 2017 Infielder of the Year out of the panhandle town of Canyon, TX, was also named the District 3-5A Offensive Player of the Year along with first team all-district honors. Canyon made national news in 2017 when the team set a national softball record with 72 team home runs. Callahan hit the record-breaking homer when she launched a grand slam to left center against Parkland El Paso in the Class-5A area playoff game.
Payton Deaton, UTIL – Pottsboro, TX, Texas Glory Flower Mound
- 2017 First team All-District 3B District 9-3A
- 2016 First team All-District 3B District 9-3A
- 2015 First team All-District 3B District 9-3A
- A four year varsity starter
Deaton was a stand-out at the hot corner for Pottsboro ever since her freshman season. Not only has she produced at arguably the most difficult infield position, she has also thrived at the plate. She has led her team in home runs all three years she has been on varsity. Not only does Deaton perform on the diamond, she is also a three year starter on varsity volleyball while taking dual-credit college classes at Grayson County College.
Saleen Donohoe, RHP – Dallas, TX, Duncanville High School, Texas Rapid Fire
- Two-time District MVP 7-6A
- All-State First Team Pitcher 6A
- Most strikeouts in DFW Area 2018
- Most home runs in Duncanville High School history
Donohoe is an accomplished member of the Duncanville High School Pantherettes softball team both on and off the diamond. To go along with her many on-field accolades, she is also a part of National Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society. The strikeout first pitcher was also selected to Academic All-District team in District 7-6A. She plays her club ball for Texas Rapid Fire Gold under head coach Mike McGovern. She hopes to one day play softball at the international level either for the United States or Mexican national teams.
Toni Gonzalez, INF – El Paso, TX, Andress High School, 18U Texas Glory
- 3x First Team All-District
- All-City First Team
- Freshman softball Newcomer of the Year
- 1x Offensive District Player of the Year
A four-year letter winner in softball, Gonzalez joins the Mean Green from El Paso. She plays her club ball with a handful of fellow recruits for Texas Glory. She also shines in the classroom, as she is in the top 15 percent of her class in dual credit GPA.
Ariel Thompson, RHP – Claremore, OK, Sequoyah High School, ACES
- 2018 1x VYPE National Player of the Week
- 2018 1x MaxPreps Player of the Week (First Sequoyah player to win such honor)
- 2018 All-District Player of the Year District 6-4A
- 2018 All-Region Middle East Region 4
- 2018 All-State Starting Pitcher
- 2017 All-District Pitcher of the Year District 6-4A
- 2016 Tulsa World All-World Softball Honoree
- 2015-16 All-District Mention for Pitcher of the Year
A hard-throwing right-hander from the plains of Oklahoma joins the Mean Green with plenty already on her résumé. She played her club softball with ACES under head coaches John Ashley and Bob Creamer. Thompson was dominate in the circle for Sequoyah High School and garnered national attention when she was named the MaxPreps/NFCA National High School Player of the Week for the week of Aug. 6-12 after a 3-0 week in the circle with 40 strikeouts, including 16 in one game.
She is also a member of National Honor Society, and a member of the Superintendents Honor Roll from 2015-2018.
Meagan Youngman INF – Mesquite, TX, Mesquite Horn HS, Texas Glory
- First team All-District infielder District 11-6A
- 2x Second team All-District infielder District 11-6A
- Offensive Player of the Year awarded by her team
- Four year varsity player
Youngman was a member of the Texas Glory team that won fourth place at the 2018 USSSA South Nationals tournament along with Callahan and Gonzalez. She can play either corner of the infield with fortitude. She plays under head coach Patricia Dyer at Mesquite Horn High School, where she is a four year varsity player, and named the Offensive Player of the Year for 2017 by her coaches and teammates. She shines in the classroom as well as a member of National English Honor Society where she was named the Principle's Award winner. She is a member of the A/B Honor Roll, with perfect attendance and a member of the National Honor Society.