April 8, 2018
TULSA, Oklahoma — Short-handed due to injuries, the Mean Green tennis team fell 4-0 to the No. 29 nationally ranked Tulsa Golden Hurricanes Sunday afternoon.
The Mean Green were down to only five players available and were forced to forfeit a singles match. North Texas (7-12) received undecided finishes in singles from No. 1 Maria Kononova, No. 2 Minying Liang and at the No. 5 spot in the lineup which is where sophomore Haruka Sasaki was at.
The No. 53 nationally ranked player, Kononova, who is just one singles win shy of moving into a tie for third-place on the program's all-time wins list, was in the second set of her singles match against the No. 73 ranked player when it was called.
Liang was facing the No. 101 ranked singles player, and won her first set and was leading in the third set of her match when it was called.
Sasaki trailed in the second set of her match when it was called.
Tulsa is the eigth ranked opponent the Mean Green have faced in their 19 matches this season.
North Texas travels to SMU on Thursday for its final road match of the regular season. Thursday's match in Dallas is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. CT.
1. #73 Ksenia Laskutova (TU) vs. #53 Maria Kononova (NT) 6-4, 5-1, unfinished
2. #101 Martina Okalova (TU) vs. Minying Liang (NT) 6-2, 1-6, 0-1, unfinished
3. Tamara Kupkova (TU) def. Alexandra Heczey (NT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Martha Matoula (TU) def. Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Vera Ploner (TU) vs. Haruka Sasaki (NT) 6-0, 6-5, unfinished
6. Shura Poppe (TU) def. No player (NT), by walkover
1. #86 Ksenia Laskutova/Martha Matoula (TU) def. Maria Kononova/Minying Liang (NT) 6-1
2. Vera Ploner/Shura Poppe (TU) vs. Alexandra Heczey/Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 4-3, unfinished
3. Tamara Kupkova/R. Van Rensburg (TU) def. No player/No player (NT), by walkover