DENTON - Day two of fall camp for the Mean Green was filled with several big plays on both sides of the ball on a warm Saturday morning.
The offense was able to strike for a handful of big plays throughout the day, but the defensive unit was also able to come up with a few key turnovers throughout the course of Saturday's 11-on-11 portion of practice.
- During 1-on-1 drills, junior wide receiver Michael Lawrence (Sweetwater, Texas) exhibited his improved strength, fighting to secure a catch over a defensive back in the end zone.
- Freshman wide receiver Austin Ogunmakin (Houston) had a very positive day on the outside, hauling in three consecutive fades in the back corner of the end zone during the goal line period of 1-on-1's and he also came through with a nice catch down the sideline on a pass from redshirt senior quarterback Quinn Shanbour (Oklahoma City) during the team period.
- The defensive line had some success during the team period, creating pressure at times. A key example of that came on a third down play, when Ulaiasi Tauaalo (Keller) and LaDarius Hamilton (Corrigan, Texas) got penetration to force a throwaway and thwart the drive.
- Sophomore Dion Novil (Abilene) also showed flashes, recording a sack of freshman Kason Martin (Manvel, Texas), also during the team session.
- Junior college transfer running back DeAndre Torrey (Gautier, Mississippi) made a decisive cut at the point of attack and busted a big run up the middle.
- Sophomore nickel Tyreke Davis (Denton) successfully stripped the ball from a wide receiver who had picked up about 12 yards on the play during 11-on-11's.
- Freshman defensive lineman Dayton LeBlanc (Breaux Bridge, Louisiana) made a very good read on a designed screen pass, dropping in to break up the pass attempt.
- In 7-on-7's freshman linebacker KD Davis came up with a big strip on a receiver following a short reception.
- After a play broke down, junior quarterback Mason Fine (Peggs, Oklahoma) rolled to his left and hit Torrey on a comeback at the sideline. Torrey was able to haul in Fine's throw on the run with a sliding catch in bounds.
- Fine also completed a pair of deep strikes to redshirt junior receiver Jalen Guyton (Allen), including a long touchdown pass down the sideline. Guyton was able to switch to a different gear to create late separation from the defensive back to haul in a difficult catch and then continue on to the end zone.
- Fine also connected well with junior Rico Bussey, Jr. on a route towards the sideline that Bussey was able to extend and snatch before cutting upfield for a big gain.
- Bussey also displayed his athleticism soaring over the defensive back to haul in a back-shoulder fade during red zone work.
- Redshirt freshman corner Jordan Roberts (Ardmore, Oklahoma) jumped a route and broke up a pass to end a series during the team period.
- In red zone work, redshirt sophomore running back Nic Smith (Fort Worth) burst through for a big gainer down to about the two yard line.
- Converted linebacker Jamie King (Azle, Texas) blew up a screen pass in red zone drills. Thankfully for the intended target, there are no pads on day two, so he was spared after King's good play diagnosis.
- Tauaalo came up with a run stop in goal line work, stuffing the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage.
- Freshman safety Jaxon Gibbs (The Colony, Texas) had a very good team session, making a nice pass break-up on a well-thrown deep ball, and then picking off the quarterback inside the red zone later in the drive.
- Freshman linebacker Jordan Hunt (Wylie, Texas) stuffed the run well on one occasion, meeting the ball-carrier at the line of scrimmage.
- Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Manase Mose (Euless) showed his quickness, getting all the way outside to get a chip on the defender on a screen play, freeing up the receiver to avoid a loss and pick up a moderate gain on the play.
- Redshirt junior defensive lineman Bryce English (DeSoto) burst through the line to stop the ball carrier for a loss on a run to the left.