FORT WORTH - North Texas junior quarterback Mason Fine
was named to the Davey O'Brien Award's "Great 8" quarterbacks list for week one after his big performance against SMU in a win last week.
The eight honorees, as determined by voting from the award's selection subcommittee, are: Fine, West Virginia's Will Grier, Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State, Hawaii's Cole McDonald, McKenzie Milton of UCF, Oklahoma's Kyler Murray, Jarrett Stidham of Auburn and Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa.
All 130 FBS quarterbacks are eligible for the weekly honor. The winner of the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback of the Week Award, which will be one of the week's "Great 8" quarterbacks, will be announced Thursday on the Punt & Pass Podcast. To listen to the announcement and discussion this week's Great 8, click here.
Eighty years ago, Davey O'Brien, who wore No. 8 as a star quarterback for TCU, became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year (1938). He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955.
O'Brien was drafted fourth overall in the 1939 NFL Draft and earned Pro Bowl honors in his rookie season after setting a National Football League record for season passing yardage. The NFL's highest-paid player retired after the 1940 season to become an FBI agent.
The Davey O'Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. The Davey O'Brien Fan Vote, now in its 12th year, will give fans a chance to play a role in determining the award winner by voting daily at VoteOBrien.org beginning Sept. 10.
Since 1977, the Davey O'Brien Foundation has given away more than $1 million in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life. For more information, visit DaveyOBrien.org.
Week 1 "Great 8" Performances:
Mason Fine, North Texas, Jr., 5-11, 185, Peggs, Okla.
• The Conference USA Offensive Player of the Week completed 40 of 50 passes for a national-best 444 yards and three scores as North Texas cruised past SMU, 46-23.
Will Grier, West Virginia, Sr., 6-2, 223, Charlotte, N.C.
• The Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Week threw for 429 yards and five touchdowns (25-for-34), in a 40-14 victory over Tennessee.
Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State, So., 6-3, 220, Potomac, Md.
• The Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week set an Ohio State record for passing yards (313) and passing touchdowns (3) in a debut start in a 77-31 win over Oregon State.
Cole McDonald, Hawai'I, So., 6-4, 205, La Miranda, Calif.
• The Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the Week fired six touchdown passes, while connecting on 30 of 41 attempts for 428 yards in a 59-41 win over Navy.
McKenzie Milton, UCF, Jr., 5-11, 185, Kapolei, Hawaii
• The American Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Week went 24-for-32 for 346 yards and five touchdowns to lead UCF past UConn, 56-17.
Kyler Murray, Oklahoma, Jr., 5-10, 195, Allen, Texas
• In his fifth career start, he threw as many touchdown passes (2) as incompletions, going 9-for-11 for 209 yards in a 63-14 rout of FAU.
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn, Jr., 6-3, 215, Stephenville, Texas
• Guided Auburn to a 21-16 victory over No. 6 Washington by completing 26 of 36 passing attempts for 273 yards and a score, while adding 23 rushing yards.
Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama, So., 6-1, 218, Ewa Beach, Hawaii
• Totaled three touchdowns (two passing, one rushing) and 253 yards of offense (227 passing, 26 rushing) in his first career start, a 51-14 win over Louisville.